General Skilled Migration to Australia - Visas to work in Australia
General skilled migration to Australia is one of the most common ways to immigrate to Australia. It allows applicants to get a work visa on the grounds of:
- A job offer (sponsorship) from an Australian employer.
- A particular state or territory wishing to nominate an individual.
- A family member being able to act as the immigrant's sponsor.
- An person who have studied in Australia and now wants to work there.
- The applicant has sufficient points to make an independent application, i.e. without nomination, sponsorship or relevant studies.
The basic requirements for applying for general skilled migration to Australia
Applications for general skilled migration to Australia must meet these requirements:
- You must be able to nominate a profession that is on a skilled occupation list.
- You must be able to obtain a positive skills assessment in their nominated occupation.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 45.
- Most applicants need to have a formal English language test.
- Completion of one or more suitable qualifications after at least two years of study in Australia. This is only applicable to some visas.
- In some cases it will be necessary to make an Expression of Interest application via SkillSelect and receive an invitation to apply for a visa before you can lodge your general skilled migration application.
The General Skilled Migration classes
General skilled migration to Australia offers several visa classes. The Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa and Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa opens for applications in November 2019. The Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa will replace the Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa.
Independent Skilled (subclass 189)
Nominated Skilled (subclass 190)
Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491)
Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa (Subclass 191)
Temporary Graduate (subclass 485)
Recognised Graduate (subclass 476)
Skilled Regional (subclass 887)
Who can help you
Only registered or exempt licensed immigration agents can assist you with skilled migration to Australia.
Get your skilled migration visa application right
the first time with the help of our licensed advisors
MARA Licensed Agents
Our immigration agents are licensed by MARA, giving you complete peace of mind during your migration.
Get in touch
South Africa +27 (0) 21 202 8200
Germany +49 (0) 40 896 987 13