Skilled Nomination Visa (190) - Nomination for work by a state or government territory

skilled nomination visaThe Skilled Nomination visa (subclass 190) for Australian immigration is part of the general skilled migration category.

It is specifically for prospective migrants who are interested nomination by an Australian state or territory government agency.

About the Skilled Nomination visa (subclass 190)

The skilled nomination visa is a points-based visa and it is the right visa for you if you:

  • Have an occupation that is in demand in a particular state or territory;
  • Possibly do not qualify for a skilled independent visa;
  • Wish to work and live in Australia permanently.

Important points to note

In order to qualify for a skilled nomination visa, you must meet these basic criteria:

  • Be under the age of 45.
  • Possess at least competent English.
  • You have been nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency.
  • You are in an occupation that is on the skill shortage list for that particular state.

There are a number of other considerations, but if you do not meet the criteria above, your application will not be successful.

How to get nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency

State and Territory governments are able to nominate you if your occupation is in demand in their particular state or territory.

Note: You do not have to be nominated by a state or territory government before you lodge your Expression of Interest under SkillSelect. You can simply update the details in your Expression of Interest once you have received nomination. This will increase your chances of receiving an invitation to apply for a skilled nomination visa (subclass 190).

How to find out what occupations may be nominated by a state or territory government

The occupations that may be nominated by a state or territory government are captured on lists which are usually called State and Territory Migration Plans.

Instead of combing through these lists yourself, you can contact us for an assessment to explore all your options.

What does the application process entail?

Each state or territory has its own application process and skill shortage list.

But let's take New South Wales (NSW) as an example:

NSW make their selection from the skill select process after you have submitted an Expression of Interest, indicating your willingness to stay and work in NSW for at least 2 years.

You can find more information NSW and the other states and territories here:

Please note: Receiving nomination from a state or territory does not guarantee that you will get a skilled nomination visa. You must still be assessed against specific visa requirements.

When does nomination happen?

Nomination normally happens during the SkillSelect process where you express your interest in being nominated by a state or territory. However, individual states and territories do change their processes from time to time and you should review the guidelines for the state or territory you're interested in.

The Skilled Nomination visa application process

Each state and territory has its own application process. It is important to nominate a state or territory in your Expression of Interest and to make your preference known during the assessment stage.

Should you get assistance with your application?

Our advice? Yes, absolutely!

The immigration options for Australia are confusing and most people find it hard to understand. There are national schemes, subclasses, state and territory nominated schemes, employer nominated schemes...

The list goes on!

So if you are serious about immigrating to Australia, you should get professional help. You don't want to miss out on available options or get your application wrong!

Important information

The law is very clear that Australian-based immigration agents must be licensed with the Migration Agents Registration Authority. It is against the law for anyone else to give you advice, unless they are exempt.

Should you be dealing with an agent outside of Australia, it is also best to ensure that the agent is licensed. Please be aware that you may come across agetns who have an Australian DIBP Offshore ID.

This looks very official and gives you a sense of security – but it shouldn't!

Migration agents operating outside of Australia do not have to be registered with the Office of MARA. The department only issues DIBP numbers to these agents for administrative purposes. It does not mean the agent is registered or endorsed by the Australian government.

In short, an agent with a DIBP Offshore ID is not a registered agent and is not backed by the MARA.

MARN number

MARA Licensed Agents

Our immigration agent is licensed by MARA, giving you complete peace of mind during your migration.

Get your FREE initial assessment here


Get in touch

South Africa +27 (0) 21 202 8200

UK +44 (0) 2038 732150

Germany +49 (0) 896 987 13

Take the first step by booking a FREE initial assessment today. It's the only way to find out if you qualify to work and live in Australia.

Our latest blog posts

Read more +31 July 2019 By Immigration to Australia in Life in Australia, Our latest posts

7 of the best ways to experience Australia’s great outdoors

Australia is big. The Kimberley region in Western Australia is roughly three times the size of England. Australia’s largest national park is nearly half the size of Switzerland. It’s no surprise that there’s so much to explore Down Under – especially its great outdoors! Here are seven of the best Australian outdoor attractions and the
Read more +23 July 2019 By Immigration to Australia in Our latest posts, Your family and Australia

Do children born to migrants automatically get Australian citizenship?

It is often assumed that children born in a foreign country are recognised as citizens. Not so fast though! This is not always the case and it’s certainly not the case in Australia. Whether or not your children automatically gain Australian citizenship is dependent on the type of visa or status you hold at the
Read more +01 July 2019 By Immigration to Australia in Life in Australia, Our latest posts

How does life in Australia compare to the rest of the world?

There are many ways to compare the quality of life between countries. The OECD, an international organisation that promotes policies to improve the economic and social well-being of people around the world, decided to look at factors that directly affect people’s daily lives. Factors such as healthcare, schooling, and social security. The results are contained