FAQs: Employer Sponsored visas for Australia

FAQs: Employer Sponsored visas for Australia

/ / Immigration to Australia, Working in Australia

employer sponsored visas for australiaEmployer Sponsored Visas for Australia make provisions for businesses in Australia and abroad to sponsor skilled workers who have recognised qualifications and skills. In particular this refers to set occupations which are required in Australia. Today we want to share with you some FAQs with regard to employer sponsored visas for Australia.

What is the difference between the employers sponsored visas for Australia and the General Skilled Migration visas?

With the General Skilled Migration Visas for Australia, there are points and a points test involved. However with the employer sponsored visas for Australia, applicants are not tested on points. Please bear in mind there are still set requirements that you will need to meet.

What are my options in terms of the employer sponsored visas for Australia?

You have two options available to you:

  • The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) – Subclass 186
  • The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) – Subclass 187

What are the three employer sponsored Visa Streams?

The Employer Nomination Scheme and The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme are made up of three different streams.

  • The Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream: For existing subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for the same employer for 2 years in Australia.
  • The Direct Entry (DE) stream: For some skilled foreign workers who do not meet the requirements of the TRT stream. This can include high income earners and some New Zealanders.
  • The Labour Agreement (‘Agreement’) stream: For individuals sponsored under a labour agreement or Regional Migration Agreement which has been specially negotiated with the Department.

What are the requirements to apply for an employer sponsored visa?

The Australian government set a number of requirements which include:

  • You must be nominated by an approved Australian employer.
  • You have to be under the age of 50.
  • You must meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements of the position.

How does the application work?

The application process is made up of two parts. Firstly the nomination by the employer, then the actual visa application by the individual being nominated follows.

Get your eligibility assessed

To see whether or not you stand a chance of qualifying for an employer sponsored visa, simply call us on +27 (0) 11 234 4275 or email us. Our consultants will do an assessment with you and also explain the way forward.

Get your FREE initial assessment here

Sign up for our monthly newsletter

You'll get immigration advice and be the first to know about visa changes.

Return to our blog