Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa - Work for an approved employer

The Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494) allows skilled workers to work for an approved employer in Australia's designated regional areas for up to five years.

This visa replaced the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187) - Direct Entry stream in November 2019.

skilled employer sponsored regional provisional visa


To be eligible for a Skilled Employer Sponsored (Provisional) visa, you must:

  • Be under the age of 45.
  • Have sponsorship from an Australian business.
  • Have a relevant occupation on a skilled occupation list.
  • Demonstrate skilled work experience.
  • Have evidence of employment in the nominated occupation for at least three years on a full-time basis.
  • Have competent English.
  • Meet the health and character requirements.

WHAT ARE YOU ALLOWED TO DO ON A Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (PROVISIONAL) VISA?

The Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494) allows you and your family to:

  • Stay in Australia for up to five years.
  • Live, work and study in designated regional areas of Australia.
  • Travel in and out of Australia while the visa is valid.
  • Apply for permanent residence after three years, if eligible.

Designated regional areas includes all of Australia except for Sydney, Melbourne Perth, Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Who can sponsor you?

For an Australian business to act as a sponsor, the business must either:

  • Be approved as a standard business sponsor; or
  • Have entered into a Labour Agreement that authorises nominations for a Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa.

Please note: Australian businesses who are already approved standard business sponsors in the Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) program do not need to apply for a separate sponsorship to nominate workers for this visa.

GETTING HELP WITH YOUR Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494)

You should only deal with licensed immigration agents! Intergate Emigration’s agents are all licensed and registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).

Please proceed with caution when you deal with immigration agents outside of Australia. These agents often show an Australian DIBP Offshore ID, but this ID is not an official number. DIBP numbers are issued for administrative purposes.

Agents outside of Australia do not have to be registered with the Office of MARA. To check the credentials of any agent, look for the on the MARA website. If the agent does not appear on the site, it means they are not licensed.

Get your work visa application right the first
time with the assistance of our licensed advisors

MARA Licensed Agents

Our immigration agents are licensed by MARA, giving you complete peace of mind during your migration.

Get in touch

South Africa +27 (0) 21 202 8200
Germany +49 (0) 896 987 13