We compare the 190, 189 and 489 Australian work visas

/ / Our latest posts, Working in Australia

australian work visasGeneral skilled migration is one of the most common ways to immigrate to Australia. Within the skilled migration category, there are three main Australian work visas:

  • The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
  • Skilled Nomination visa (subclass 190)
  • Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)

Today we’re comparing these three visas so that you know what residency each visa offer, which visa is right for you, and what the main criteria is.

What type of residency is offered by each visa?

Australian work visas either offer a pathway to residency, meaning the visa you have is the first step to gaining residency, or immediate permanent residency.

In the case of the three visas we’re discussing today, the Skilled Independent and Skilled Nomination visas offer permanent residency. This means once you have your visa, you are allowed to stay in Australia indefinitely.

The Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa, on the other hand, is a pathway to residency. You are only allowed a stay of four years on this visa. To obtain permanent residency, you’ll have to qualify and apply for a Skilled Regional visa (subclass 887).

Which visa is the right one for you?

Let us start by saying that the information we’re sharing below should only act as a guideline.

Applying for the correct visa is never as easy as reading through a paragraph or two before proceeding to a visa application.

Your eligibility for a visa should always be assessed by a licensed immigration agent.

With that said, let’s take a look at each visa:

Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

The Skilled Independent visa is a points-based visa and it’s the right visa for you if you:

  • Don’t have a job offer; but
  • Have a relative to sponsor you; and
  • Want to work and live in Australia permanently.

Skilled Nomination visa (subclass 190)

This is also a points-based visa and meant for people who:

  • Have an occupation that is in demand in a particular state or territory;
  • Possibly do not qualify for a skilled independent visa;
  • Want to work and live in Australia permanently.

Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)

Just like the 189 and 190 visas, the Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa is a points-based visa. This could be the visa for you if you are either:

  • Sponsored by an eligible relative who would normally be a resident in a designated area in Australia; or
  • Nominated by a state or territory government.

What is each visa’s main criteria?

While Australian work visas share some basic requirements, the core qualifying criteria of each visa are different:

australian skilled visas criteria and requirements

Eager to know more about these Australian work visas?

There is a page for each visa right here on our site, so you can head on over to the visa you’re interested in right away:

Want to find out if you qualify for general skilled migration to Australia?

As we mentioned earlier, getting an assessment done is the only way to know if you’re eligible for the visa you’re interested in.

The good news is that you can do so risk free if you contact us on +27 (0) 11 234 4275 and ask for a free initial assessment. Alternatively, simply book your initial assessment online.

Our assessment is not only free of charge, it’s non obligatory too, meaning you don’t have to commit to working with us for your visa application at the end of the assessment.

What are you waiting for? You have nothing to lose!

Get your FREE initial assessment here

Sign up for our monthly newsletter

You'll get immigration advice and be the first to know about visa changes.

Return to our blog