Up to AUD15,000 on offer for people willing to move to the Northern Territory

/ / News, Our latest posts

moving to northern territoryAustralia’s Northern Territory is offering couples, individuals and families up to AUS15,000 to make this part of Down Under their home.

This announcement was part of the Territory’s Population Growth Strategy for 2018 to 2028.

The Northern Territory wants to attract and retain talent

The Northern Territory’s government want to attract skilled individuals to the region. Their aim? To create a diversified economy, so that the Territory is less reliant on investments.

This has led to the decision to offer up to AUD15,000 over five years to interstate migrants who come to the Territory to work in a ‘high priority occupation’. Eligible interstate migrants will be able to take the Territory up on their offer from November 2018.

Three separate financial incentives

The Northern Territory will offer interstate migrants a relocation bonus, a local spending benefit, and a 5-year retention bonus.

The relocation bonus is AUD3,000 for singles, AUD6,000 for couples and AUD7,000 for families.

The local spending benefit is a once-off payment of AUD1,250 after six months of living in the Northern Territory. This money may be used for a range of local spending. For instance, vehicle registration, local hospitality vendors and child care support.

The 5-year retention bonus will be a cash payment after five years of continuous residence. Singles will receive AUD3,000, couples will get AUD6,000 and AUD7,000 will be paid to families.

53 High priority occupations

The Northern Territory has identified the 53 occupations below as ‘high priority’. These jobs are high in demand or critical to the local economy and industry, but hard to fill.

Northern Territory High Priority Occupations

Please go the Northern Territory government website for additional information on high priority occupations. To view the 2018 – 2018 Population Growth Strategy in full, go here.

Sign up for our monthly newsletter

You'll get immigration advice and be the first to know about visa changes.

Return to our blog