Northern Territory Skilled Nomination Program (190) - Immigration to Australia with an occupation on the NT Skilled Occupation List

northern territory skilled nomination programAre you considering emigration to Australia? Do you have your eye on the Northern Territory? Then you'll want to add the information below on the Northern Territory Skilled Nomination Program (190) to your research file.

The Northern Territory Skilled Nomination Program gives you the opportunity to gain state nomination and, if successful, to apply for permanent residency under the Skilled Nomination visa (subclass 190) category.

What is the Northern Territory Skilled Nomination Program?

Australia recognises that its individual states and territories may have differing immigration needs to that of the country as a whole.

This allows for a program like the Northern Territory Skilled Program.

It enables the Northern Territory to have its own skilled shortage lists and its own set of criteria for the immigrants the territory wants to attract.

About the Northern Territory Skilled Nomination Program

  • You must nominate a profession that appears on the Northern Territory Skilled Occupation List.
  • The Skilled Nomination visa (subclass 190) is a points-based visa and you must score at least 65 points.
  • You must demonstrate a commitment to living and working in the NT. Alternatively, you must have been living and working in the NT for a specified period of time to be eligible.
  • You must stay and work in the Northern Territory for 2 years if your application is successful.
  • Your can make an application for the Northern Territory Skilled Nomination Program either before or after applying for an Expression of Interest (EOI).

Application process for the Northern Territory Skilled Nomination Program (190)

In order to migrate to the Northern Territory under a NT Government nomination, you must be:

  • Eligible for the visa for which you are seeking nomination by the Department of Immigration and Border Patrol (DIBP).
  • Nominated by the Northern Territory government.
  • Able to meet all other DIBP visa requirements, including age as well as health and character requirements, for permanent residence. This applies to dependents too where applicable.

The NT government will consider your application if:

How do I apply for Northern Territory nomination?

You must submit all of the following in English to apply for Northern Territory nomination:

1.  A completed Northern Territories 190 application form.

2. A certified copy of nominated occupation's skills assessment.

3. Your CV.

4. Evidence of employment in your nominated occupation.

5. Certified copies of your qualifications.

6. Certified copies of your passport as well as for any family members who are included in the application.

7. Evidence of English proficiency.

8. Evidence of your financial position as below:

Family members

Minimum value of net assets

Individual applicant


Applicant + Spouse


Applicant + spouse + one (1) child

AU$60 000

Applicant + spouse + two (2) children

AU$65 000

9. Evidence that you have researched living the Northern Territories. This would include reference to things such as:

  • Climate
  • Relocation costs
  • Living expenses
  • Accommodation costs

10. Why you want to immigrate to the Northern Territories.

11. Reasons for your employment prospects in the Northern Territories.

12. A statement documenting your commitment to the NT.

About the Northern Territories

The Northern Territories, also known as the Outback, is an area the size of Spain or France, yet have a population of only about 200 000 people.

Darwin, the capital city, has strong diplomatic cultural and economic ties with South-East Asia. This is due to the city's close proximity to Asia, closer than any of Australia's other major cities. Not surprising then that Darwin has capitalised on trading benefits by promoting the Northern Territory as Australia's 'Gateway to Asia'.

This relationship with Asia has certainly played a huge role in developing the NT's vibrant economy. The region is also home to a raft of multi-million and multi-billion dollar developments, creating thousands of jobs for professionals and skilled tradespeople as well business entrepreneurs.

Important information

The assessment is arguably the most critical step in your immigration journey. However, if the assessment is done incorrectly, the knock-on effects are profound.

Here are two simple rules to follow:

  1. Only deal with licensed immigration agents. Intergate Emigration has a fully licensed adviser - Katrin Maja O'Flynn. You can view her details on the official Migration Agents Authority website here.
  2. Do not be fooled by Australian DIBP Offshore ID numbers. These numbers are not a sign of an agent outside of Australia being licensed or having the backing of the Australian government. A DIBP number is issued for administrative purposes only to agents outside of Australia. In short, the agent you're dealing with is not registered and are not backed by MARA.

The golden rule? If you cannot find an agent on the MARA website, do not deal with them.

MARN number

Get your FREE initial assessment here


MARA Licensed Agents

Our immigration agent is licensed by MARA, giving you complete peace of mind during your migration.


Get in touch

South Africa +27 (0) 21 202 8200

UK +44 (0) 2038 732150

Germany +49 (0) 896 987 13

Take the first step by booking a FREE initial assessment today. It's the only way to find out if you qualify to work and live in Australia.

Our latest blog posts

DAMA NTRead more +23 January 2019 By Immigration to Australia in News, Our latest posts

Australian government lists 117 occupations in NT that needs foreign workers

The Australian government has released a list of 117 occupations as part of a new scheme that enables Australian employers to recruit from overseas as well as offers successful immigrants the opportunity to gain permanent residency. The main condition? You have to be willing to live in the Northern Territory for at least three years.
New visa for parents of Australian migrants in 2019Read more +30 November 2018 By Immigration to Australia in News, Our latest posts

New visa for parents of Australian migrants in 2019

Migrants to Australia will be delighted to learn that Australia is introducing a Temporary Sponsored Parent visa in 2019. This visa will present parents and grandparents with a new pathway to reunite with families. More about this visa The Temporary Sponsored Parent visa will allow parents to visit their families in Australia for a continuous
invitation to apply for australian visaRead more +05 November 2018 By Immigration to Australia in Immigration to Australia, Our latest posts

What is the Invitation to Apply for an Australian visa?

There are many parts to general skilled migration visa applications. One of these parts is the Invitation to Apply for an Australian visa. Continue reading to find out what it is and where it fits into the process. What is the Invitation to Apply? The Invitation to Apply is as the name suggests – an