Australian Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)

/ / Immigration to Australia, Short-term Visas

australian working holiday visaGoing to Australia on a working holiday may be a dream come true. However it is not as simple as it may seem. There are very strict rules and requirements that need to be met in order to successfully qualify for an Australian Working Holiday visa.

What is an Australian working holiday visa?

This visa is suited towards students and young adults who wish to travel the world, and go and work in Australia for up to a year.


How do I know if I am eligible for an Australian Working Holiday visa?

You might be able to get this visa if you:

  • Are at least 18 but not yet 31 years of age.
  • Have not previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 462).
  • Hold a valid passport from a country involved in the Working Holiday Program with Australia.
  • Are a genuine visitor who wants to have a holiday in Australia.
  • Have enough money to support yourself during your working holiday.
  • Have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay.
  • Will not be accompanied by a dependent child during your stay in Australia.
  • Meet certain health and character requirements.

Can I apply for a second Working Holiday visa?

Yes, you may, but only if you meet these conditions:

  • You have complied with all the conditions on your first Working Holiday visa.
  • You have not previously held more than one Working Holiday visa.
  • You have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday visa.
  • You have not yet turned 31 years of age.

What qualifies as ‘specified work’?

The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Control defines ‘specified work’ as ‘work that is undertaken in a ‘specified’ field or industry in a designated regional area’.

The are currently five approved industries for Australian Working Holiday visas:

  1. Plant and animal cultivation. For instance, harvesting and/or packing of fruit and vegetable crops as well as the manufacturing dairy produce from raw material.
  2. Fishing and pearling. Here an example would be conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species.
  3. Tree farming and felling. You could, for instance, fell trees in a plantation or forest.
  4. Mining. One example of approved work in this industry is oil and gas extraction.
  5. Construction, of which residential building construction is an example.

Can my family join me on this visa?

As stated above, you cannot have a dependent child join you in Australia on this visa. However, partners may join you but any partner would need to apply for their own visa.

Is there anything else I should know?

You should know how to calculate the time spent working as there is a 3-month requirement and you should know that you must submit evidence of the work done. You can find the information you need on this page. Also included is helpful information on where to find specified work.

If you still have questions, please do not hesitate to contact our team here or on +27 (0) 21 202 8200.

Return to our blog