Learn about the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)

/ / Immigration to Australia, Studying in Australia

temporary graduate visa (subclass 485)The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) is a very useful visa to know about. If you are a foreign student who has recently graduated from an Australian educational institution, then you may want to continue reading.

What is the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)?

This is a visa for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian education institution. It allows you to work in Australia prior to completing your studies.

What are the two streams of the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)?

The Graduate Work stream and the Post-Study Work stream are the two different streams for this visa category.

What is the difference between these two streams?

Below highlights some of the differences between the Graduate Work stream and the Post-Study Work stream:

The Graduate Work stream: this is applicable where students graduate with skills and qualifications that are on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). A visa under this stream is granted for 18 months.

Post-Study Work stream: this is applicable to students with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This is only available to students who were granted their first student visa on or before 5 November 2011. A visa under this stream can be granted for up to four years.

What are the requirements for the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)?

There are very set requirements which need to be met, should you wish to apply for this visa.

These requirements include:

• Being under 50 years of age.
• Holding an eligible visa.
• Meeting the two year Australian study requirement.
• Meeting the English language requirements.
• Being in Australia.
• Having recently graduated with a suitable qualification or with qualifications and skills which relate to an occupation on the skilled occupation list.

Are there any additional requirements that I will need to be aware of?

There are many additional requirements that you will need to be aware of, these include:

• Character requirements.
• Medical requirements.
• Study requirements.
• Health insurance requirements.

Where do I apply?

To learn more about this visa type and to apply, please feel free to contact us. Our agents will start by doing an eligibility assessment for you before explaining the way forward.

Sign up for our monthly newsletter

You'll get immigration advice and be the first to know about visa changes.

Return to our blog