FAQs: Studying In Australia

/ / Immigration to Australia, Studying in Australia

studying in australiaWe get many emails and phone calls from people all over the world who want to find out more about studying in Australia. Some of the questions pop up again and again:

  • Is Australia a good place to study?
  • Can I work while I study?
  • How much does it cost to study in Australia?
  • How do I find accommodation?

This made us think that it would be handy for you and anyone else who wants to study in Australia, to have the answers to these and other FAQs in one place.

That place is right here, so continue reading for the answers to the four questions above plus eight other questions people just like yourself ask us every day.

Is Australia a good place to study?

The answer is a definite ‘yes’. Australia has the third-highest number of international students in the world behind only the United Kingdom and the United States. This isn’t surprising when you consider Australia has seven of the top 100 universities in the world.

Added to this, Australia has five of the 30 best cities in the world for students based on:

  • Student mix;
  • Affordability;
  • Qualify of life; and
  • Employer activity.

These elements all make for an ideal student environment, as is evident in Australia’s rankings.

Is Australia a safe place to live?

Australia is generally a very safe place to live as well as study. But it is still important to look after yourself and to be vigilant wherever you go.

Do I need a visa to study in Australia?

Yes, you do. The visa will allow you to legally study and stay in Australia.

Can I work while I study?

Most Australian student visas allow you to work for up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session, and unrestricted hours during any scheduled course break.

However, before you undertake any paid work, first make sure your visa allows you to work. If it does, you are bound to find part-time work easily. Australia has part-time employment opportunities in many establishments and fields, including:

  • Supermarkets, department stores, clothing stores.
  • Cafes, bars and restaurants.
  • Hotels and motels.
  • Farming and fruit-picking.
  • Sales and telemarketing.
  • Tutoring.

Will my qualification be recognised back home or in other overseas countries?

Yes, it will be recognised all over the world.

The Australian education system enjoys an impressive international reputation thanks to its high standards of education.

The Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 and the National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2007 provide nationally consistent standards for providers of education and training for international students.

Further to this, Australia has an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) which ensures that qualification titles across Australia are consistent and represent the same high standards of education. It also makes it easy for other countries to understand what level of education each Australian qualification represents.

I’ve read that you must meet English language requirements for your visa. Is this true?

Yes it is, and it’s true for nearly every Australian visa.

The Australian government wants to see that your grasp of English is up their standards. This means you have to prove your English ability and competency. This often entails doing an International English Language Test (IELTS), but this is not always the case. It is best to speak to your immigration adviser about this.

Keep in mind that the learning institution you’re applying at might also have their own English language requirements. You might very well have to prove your English proficiency not once, but twice.

How much does it cost to study in Australia?

Your course will determine how much you pay for studying in Australia.

Study in Australia, an official government site, quotes the following average figures:

  • English language studies: Around AUS$ per week, depending on the course length.
  • Vocational education and training (Certificates I to IV, diplomas and advanced diplomas): AUS$4,000 to AUS$22,000.
  • Undergraduate Bachelor degrees: AUS$15,000 to AUS$33,000.
  • Postgraduate Master degrees: AUS$20,000 to AUS$37,000.
  • Doctoral degrees: AUS$14,000 to AUS$37,000.

What are the living costs in Australia?

This will heavily depend on the lifestyle you choose to have while studying in Australia.

Let’s assume you’re going to stay on campus. Then you can expect to pay between AUS$90 and AUS$280 per week. If you’d like to rent your own place, the costs goes up to between AUS$165 and AUS$440 per week.

Groceries and eating out could cost you AUS$80 a week but splash a bit more and you can expect to pay around AUS$280 a week. Public transport will cost you between AUS$15 and AUS$55 a week. If you stay in more than you go out, you can expect to pay around AUS$80 per week for entertain. However, if you’re a social butterfly, expect that to go up to about AUS$150 a week.

For other cost examples, like shared rentals or gas and electricity costs, go to www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/

How do I find accommodation?

As illustrated in the living costs above, you will be able to find acccommodation on campus. Please bear in mind that this won’t be the case for all learning institutions.

If there are no accommodation available on campus, talk to an administrator at the institution you’re applying at about other available options in the area. You are sure to get good referrals this way.

Is it true that I’ll need health cover while studying in Australia?

Yes, it is true.

As an international student in Australia, you are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your studies in Australia.

What are the requirements for studying in Australia?

As discussed earlier, you will definitely require an Australian study visa in order to realise your dreams of studying in Australia.

In order to apply for the visa, you’ll need a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) confirming that you have been accepted into a course registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions of Courses (CRICOS).

This means in order to apply for the visa, you must have been accepted at a learning institution.

Other than the COE, the requirements include but are not necessarily limited to:

  • Financial requirements.
  • English requirements, as discussed above.
  • Health and character requirements.
  • Health cover.

I have studied in my home country and I want to study further in Australia. Can I?

The good news is that, yes, you can.

The Recognised Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 476) allows graduates from certain learning institutions from around the world to further their studies in Australia. This visa carries with it certain requirements which you’ll have to meet.

To discuss your eligibility for this visa, please speak to one of our licensed immigration advisers.

Any other burning questions?

Our FAQ list hopefully answers many, if not all of your questions regarding studying in Australia. But if you do have more questions, please feel free to contact us. Our agents will be happy to help you.

Return to our blog