COVID-19: GSM visa holders can enter Australia after ‘Entry By’ date

/ / News, Our latest posts

Good news for General Skilled Migration visa holders – you can now enter Australia after the ‘Entry By’ date on your visa. Normally, this would not be possible. The Australian Department of Home Affairs has, however, put in place this temporary concession in response to the country’s coronavirus border closures and travel restrictions.

What you should do at the airport…

All General Skilled Migration visa holders would have received a notice detailing all of the above. The Department of Home Affairs has advised that visa holders carry the notice with them when travelling to Australia. The notice should be presented at the departure and arrival airports.

However, before you travel to Australia, please check the Department of Home Affairs’ website for the country’s latest travel restrictions.

Travel to Australia as soon as you can

We encourage you to travel to Australia as soon as it’s possible. At the time of writing, Australia’s borders are still closed to most travellers, but that could change at any time.

Important to note:

1. Applicable to only the subclasses 189, 190, 489 and 491 visas

The General Skilled Migration visas are only one of the following visas:

These visas, when granted to an applicant while he or she is outside Australia, are usually subject to a visa Condition 8504 which provides that:

The holder must enter Australia as the holder of the visa to which the condition applies before a date specified by the Minister.

As mentioned, the Department of Home Affairs has now temporarily waived this condition as both Australian and world-wide travel restrictions has made it impossible for certain individuals to travel to Australia at the moment.

2. Your visa’s validity is not extended

It is important to note that your visa won’t be extended if it ceases for any reason. The ability to thus travel to and enter Australia after the ‘entry by’ date is only possible while your visa is still valid.

3. Your child born while still outside of Australia will need a visa

If neither you nor your partner are Australian citizens, any children born before you enter Australia for the first time, will need a visa to travel to and enter the country. You can read more about family visas on our website.

Contact us if you need assistance with a visa extension or application

If you are currently stuck outside Australia and you suspect that your visa will expire before you can travel, please contact us so that we can assist with advice, an extension or a new application. Our advisors will be happy to help you get to Australia.

Return to our blog