The Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143)

/ / Immigration Advice, Our latest posts

contributory parent visaAustralia’s Parent Visa can take up to 30 years to process! Thankfully there is an alternative – the Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).

While this Parent subclass is not a quick solution by any stretch of the imagination, as it takes up to 40 months to process, it’s the preferred alternative to the Parent Visa for many applicants. Especially as the subclass 143 visa also allows you to stay in Australia on a permanent basis.

Let’s see if you stand a chance to qualify for the Contributory Parent visa:

Main eligibility criteria

You must have a child who is:

  • An Australian citizen;
  • A permanent resident; or
  • An eligible New Zealand citizen.

You must have a sponsor

You must be sponsored for this visa. Usually you would be sponsored by an eligible child. If your child is under 18, you can be sponsored by an eligible relative or community organisation.

Health and character requirements

You must meet Australia’s health and character requirements

Other eligibility criteria

You’ll have to meet the balance-of-family test unless:

  • You currently hold a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173).
  • Your Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173) ended in the 28 days immediately before you apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).
  • Your subclass 884 visa ended more than 28 days before you apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) but you can show compassionate and compelling reasons to be considered to still hold the visa.

Other important information to note

As mentioned at the start, the Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) lets you stay in Australia indefinitely. In addition, this visa enables you to:

  • Work and study in Australia.
  • Enrol in Medicare.
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence.
  • Travel to and from Australia for five years.
  • Apply for Australian citizenship, if you’re eligible.

Assess your eligibility for a Contributory Parent visa

Would you like to apply for a Contributory Parent Visa? The first step is finding out if you qualify. Do this by booking a consultation call with our licensed advisor on our website. You’ll not only discover your visa options for Australia, you’ll also learn how the immigration process works and what the costs are.

Return to our blog