Can you immigrate to Australia if you are over 50?

/ / Immigration Advice, Our latest posts, Retiring in Australia

can you immigrate to Australia if you are over 50

With strict age restrictions in place for most work visas, one might wonder, “Can you immigrate to Australia if you are over 50?”

The good news is that there are visas that allow people over 50 to immigrate to Australia. These visas are as follows:

  • Business Innovation Stream (Provisional) Visa
  • Business Talent Visa
  • Global Talent Visa
  • Parent Visas

Let’s take a closer look at each visa.

Business Innovation Stream (Provisional) Visa (subclass 188)

The subclass 188 visa is a four-year provisional visa. It is the first step towards permanent residency. You’ll apply for permanent residency through the Business Innovation and Investment Visa (subclass 888).

The requirements to meet under the subclass 188 visa will depend on the stream under which you apply:

  1. Business Innovation stream: You want to establish, develop and manage a new or existing business in Australia.
  2. Investor stream: You want to make a designated investment of at least AU$1.5 million in an Australian state or territory and maintain business and investment activity in Australia.
  3. Significant Investor stream: You are willing to invest at least AU$5 million into complying investments in Australia and maintain business and investment activity in Australia.

For both the Business Innovation and Investor stream, you must be under the age of 55. That’s not much older than 50, so don’t take too long to apply if you’re already 50!

Business Talent Visa (subclass 132)

The subclass 132 visa allows you to establish a new business or develop an existing business in Australia. It has two streams:

  1. Significant Business History stream: For high-calibre business owners or part-owners who want to do business in Australia.
  2. Venture Capital Entrepreneur stream: For people who have sourced venture capital funding from an Australian Venture Capital Association Limited (ACVAL) member.

You must have state nomination to apply for the subclass 132 visa, and you must be 55 years of age or younger. States or territories may waive the age requirement if you can meet specific criteria.

Global Talent Visa

The purpose of the Global Talent Visa is to attract the world’s best and brightest talent to grow Australia’s economy. You’ll be eligible to apply if you are highly skilled in one of these 10 target sectors:

  • Resources
  • Agri-good and AgTech
  • Energy
  • Health Industries
  • Defence, Advanced Manufacturing and Space
  • Circular Economy
  • DigiTech
  • Infrastructure and Tourism
  • Financial Services and FinTech
  • Education

You must also be able to attract a salary that meets the high-income threshold of AUD1583,500. This figure is adjusted annually on 1 July.

While there is no age restriction on the Global Talent Visa, the Department of Home Affairs requires that an exceptional benefit to the Australian community be established if you’re older than 55 years of age.

Parent Visas

There are several Parent visas available to the parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents and Eligible New Zealand (ENZ) citizens:

  • Parent visa (subclass 103): You must apply as a retiree.
  • Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa: You’ll need an approved Parent Sponsor to apply.
  • Aged Parent visa (subclass 804): You must be old enough to receive the age pension in Australia.
  • Contributory Aged Parent visas (subclasses 864 and 884): You must be old enough to receive the age pension in Australia.
  • Contributory Parent visas (subclasses 143 and 173): You must apply as a retiree.

The other requirements for these visas range from meeting the balance-of-family test and having a sponsor to meeting the health and character requirements. Please contact us if you’d like to discuss the requirements in detail.

Want to know if you’re eligible for immigration to Australia?

If you’re almost 50 or older than 50 and would like to know immigrate to Australia, please do not hesitate to get in touch. You can call us on or +27 (0) 21 424 2460 or email us.

The first step is an initial immigration assessment to uncover any immigration options open to you.

To book your assessment right away, simply click here to get started. One of our consultants will contact you within 24 hours to get the ball rolling.

Sign up for our monthly newsletter

You'll get immigration advice and be the first to know about visa changes.

Return to our blog