Temporary Graduate Visa (485) - For foreign graduates from Australian education institutions

The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) is for foreign students who have just graduated from an Australian educational institution.

Temporary Graduate Visa (485)

The Temporary Graduate visa streams

The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) has two streams:

  • The Graduate Work stream: For students who graduated with skills and qualifications on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). A visa in this stream is valid for 18 months.
  • Post-study Work stream: For students with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of the field of study. However, this stream is only available to students who were granted their first student visa on or before 5 November 2011. Visas in this stream can be granted for up to four years.

What are you allowed to do on the Temporary Graduate visa?

The Temporary Graduate visa allows you to:

  • Live, work and study in Australia for a temporary period of time after you have finished your studies.

Family members who can apply for this visa include:

What are the requirements?

The requirements for the Temporary Graduate visa include:

  • You must nominate an occupation from the skilled occupation list, if you're applying under the Graduate Work stream.
  • You must be under the age of 50.
  • You already hold an eligible visa.
  • English language requirement.
  • You must have valid health insurance in Australia.

Making an application

Both the main applicant as well as any other applicants in conjunction with the main applicant, must be in Australia when the application is made and the visa decision is given.

If the main applicant has already been granted the visa, family members may make an application outside of Australia.

important information

If you hold a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) and would subsequently like to remain in Australia to apply for permanent residence, you will have an advantage in terms of your points score. That's because studying and working in Australia can aid your total points score in both independent and nomination programs.

Get your visa application right the first time
with the assistance of our licensed advisors

MARA Licensed Agents

Our immigration agents are licensed by MARA, giving you complete peace of mind during your migration.

Get in touch

South Africa +27 (0) 21 202 8200
Germany +49 (0) 896 987 13

Our latest blog posts