New Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa for Australia in March 2018
On 18 April 2017, the Australian Government announced that the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) will be abolished and replaced with the completely new Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa in March 2018.
This change has now officially happened. Here’s what you need to know about the TSS visa:
Two main visa streams
There are two main streams available under the new TSS visa program:
- Short-term stream: For employers to source genuine temporary overseas skilled workers in occupations included on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) for a maximum of two years. This can be extended to four years in cases where an International Trade Obligation applies.
- Medium-term stream: For employers to source highly skilled overseas workers to fill medium-term critical skills in occupation included on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) for up to four years, with eligibility to apply for permanent residence after three years.
There is also a Labour Agreement stream for exceptional cases where standard visa programs are not available and there is a demonstrated need that cannot be met in the Australian labour market.
TSS visa requirements
The TSS visa program comes with new requirements, including but not limited to:
- Tightened English language requirements.
- A requirement for visa applicants to have at least two years’ work experience in their skilled occupation.
- Mandatory labour market testing, unless an International Trade Obligation applies.
- Capacity for only one onshore visa renewal under the Short-term stream.
- Capacity for visa renewal onshore and permanent residence eligibility after three years under the Medium-term stream.
- A non-discriminatory workforce test to ensure employers are not actively discriminating against Australian workers.
- A requirement to pay a contribution to the Skilling Australian Fund (subject to legislation passing).
Call us if you’d like to chat about the Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa
If you have questions about the TSS visa, or would like to find out if you qualify, you are more than welcome to call us on +27 (0) 11 234 4275. Our consultants are able to answer your questions and can do a comprehensive eligibility assessment.