Global Talent Independent visa – Changes for Bachelor and Masters students
The Department of Home Affairs made a significant change to the Global Talent Independent Visa on 20 January 2021.
Bachelor and Masters students are no longer eligible to receive an Invitation to Apply based solely on their qualifications – they must also meet the high income threshold.
What is the Global Talent Independent Visa?
The Global Talent Independent Visa allows highly skilled professionals across 10 target sectors to work and live in Australia permanently. The aim is to attract the brightest and the best global talent to Australia to grow the country’s economy.
What are the requirements to apply for the Global Talent Independent Visa?
To be eligible to apply for this work visa, you must be highly skilled in one of seven sectors. You’ll also have to attract a salary that meets the high income threshold, as mentioned earlier.
The 10 target sectors:
- Agri-good and AgTech
- Health Industries
- Defence, Advanced Manufacturing and Space
- Circular Economy
- Infrastructure and Tourism
- Financial Services and FinTech
- Prove that you are internationally recognised with evidence of outstanding achievements, such as senior roles, patents, professional awards and international publications and memberships
- Still be prominent in your field of expertise
- Provide evidence that you would be an asset to Australia, in your area of expertise
- Have no difficulty obtaining employment in Australia or becoming established in your field
- Have a recognised organization or individual in Australia nominate you as a global talent, which is in the same field as you are
High income threshold:
You must have the ability to attract a salary at or above the Fair Work high income threshold.
When assessing this, the Department of Home Affairs will consider:
- Your current salary through payslips or a contract, or
- Future jobs offers outlining remuneration, or
- Recent PhD graduates in the target sectors
Contact us to find out if you’re eligible to apply for a Global Talent Independent Visa
Our team of immigration experts can assess your chances of living and working in Australia on a Global Talent Independent Visa. All you have to do is book a consultation call. You’ll also discover how the visa application works and learn the costs involved, which means you’ll know exactly what the expect of the journey ahead.