emigrating to australia as a carpenter
  • Are you an experienced carpenter?
  • Under the age of 45?
  • In good health?
  • Fluent in English?

Then emigrating to Australia may be an option for you! Continue reading to find out:

  • The criteria to meet to emigrate
  • What Australia expects of you
  • The immigration process to follow

1. Your occupation must appear on a skilled shortage list

Australia has three skilled occupation lists. These lists contain all the occupations in Australia that is in need of skilled and experienced workers from overseas due to a shortage of talent in the country. 

  1. Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
  2. Short-Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)
  3. Regional Occupational List (ROL)

The good news is that Carpenter is on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)! 

This means the Australian government is happy with Australian companies hiring environmental consultants from overseas, albeit subject to strict requirements. 

Please note: Australia has also created a temporary skilled occupation list in response to COVID-19 called the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL).

2. You must meet the ANZSCO criteria

Each occupation on the skills shortage lists has an ANZSCO (Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations) code assigned to it. This code determines the requirements a visa applicant must meet, including the skill level and the tasks the applicant must be able to perform. 

The ANZSCO code assigned to carpenters is 331212. This code gives us more details about the criteria carpenters have to meet in order to qualify to emigrate to Australia.

The first thing we look at is the group that carpenters fall under:

Major Group: 3 - Technicians and Trades Workers | Sub-Major Group: 33 - Construction Trades Workers | Minor Group: 331 – Bricklayers, and Carpenters and Joiners | Unit Group: 3312 – Carpenters and Joiners

As you can see there are four groups showing how the code is made up – we are mostly interested in the code (331212) which is specific to carpenters.

This part of the ANZSCO criteria lays out a broad description of what a carpenter is supposed to be able to do:

Constructs, erects, installs, renovates and repairs structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, wallboard and other materials.

Carpenters is a Skill Level 3, which means you must have a level of skill commensurate with an AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3).

When applying for emigration as a carpenter, you must be able to demonstrate or prove that you can perform the majority of the tasks below:

  • Studying drawings and specifications to determine materials required, dimensions and installation procedures
  • Ordering and selecting timbers and materials, and preparing layouts
    Cutting materials, and assembling and nailing cut and shaped parts
  • Erecting framework and roof framing, laying sub-flooring and floorboards and verifying trueness of structures
  • Nailing fascia panels, sheathing roofs, and fitting exterior wall cladding and door and window frames
  • Assembling prepared wood to form structures and fittings ready to install
  • Cutting wood joints
  • May construct concrete formwork
  • May repair existing fittings
  • May work with plastic laminates, perspex and metals

quantity surveyor australia job adviceMany people mistakenly think that finding a job is the first step when immigrating.

In fact, the first step should always be an immigration assessment to see if you have the necessary skills, qualifications and experience to live and work in Australia.

Why do we say this?

  1. If you don’t meet the requirements for skilled migration, you won’t be able to apply for a visa.
  2. Doing an assessment first and knowing for sure that you’re eligible for immigration enables you to job hunt with confidence. Employers are much more likely to extend job offers if they know that you can work in Australia.

The golden rule? Do an assessment, then find a job.

3. You must meet the basic immigration requirements

In addition to the ANZSCO requirements, you must be able to meet the health, character, English language, and points requirements as determined by the Department of Home Affairs.

All applicants for permanent and provisional visas must meet Australia’s health requirements to qualify for immigration. This includes the:

  • Main applicant;
  • Spouse; and
  • Any other members of the family unit.

The Department of Home Affairs or the migration medical services provider will evaluate the completed health exam reports to decide if applicants meet Australia’s health requirements.

Please note: In some cases, non-migrating family members will also be assessed against the health requirements.

Everyone who wants to enter Australia must be of good character and will be assessed against Australia's character requirements. As part of your visa application, you might be required to provide a police clearance certificate or other evidence to satisfy the character requirements.

  • You will not pass the character test if:

    • you have a substantial criminal record, meaning you have been sentenced to 12 months or more in prison, or multiple sentences that add up to more than 12 months in prison. A suspended sentence is considered a prison sentence.

    • you have been convicted of escaping from immigration detention, or convicted for an offence that you committed:

      • while you were in immigration detention,

      • during an escape from immigration detention,

      • after an escape, but before you were taken into immigration detention again.

  • You are or have been a member of a group or organisation, or had or have an association with a person, group or organisation that the Minister for Immigration reasonably suspects of involvement in criminal conduct

  • The Minister for Immigration reasonably suspects that you have been involved in people smuggling, people trafficking, genocide, a war crime, a crime against humanity, a crime involving torture or slavery, or a crime that is of serious international concern, whether or not you have been convicted of such an offence

  • Your past and present criminal or general conduct shows that you are not of good character

  • There is a risk that while you are in Australia you would:

    • engage in criminal conduct,

    • harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person,

    • vilify a segment of the Australian community,

    • incite discord in the Australian community or in a part of it,

    • be a danger to the Australian community or a part of it.

  • You have been convicted of, or found guilty or had a charge proven for one or more sexually based offences involving a child,

  • You are subject to an adverse security assessment by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation

  • You are subject to an Interpol notice, from which it is reasonable to infer that you a direct or indirect risk to the Australian community, or a segment of the Australian community.

In order to immigrate to Australia, you must score an IELTS 7 in all four components of your test - reading, writing, listening, and speaking.

The IELTS is not the only English test available though. Your immigration agent should advise you on which English language test would be best for you.

Emigrating to Australia as a carpenter will only be possible if you achieve a points score of at least 65. 


4. You must get 65 points in your skills assessment

PART 1 – Age

18 – 25


25 – 32


32 – 39


40 – 44


45 – 49


Carpenters can achieve as much as 50% of the required 65 points just by being in the right age group!

PART 2 – English language

Superior English - IELTS 8 or more in all 4 components or OET ‘A pass’


Proficient English - IELTS 7 or more in all 4 components or OET ‘B pass’


Threshold English: Competent English (IELTS 6 or more in all 4 components or certain passport holders)


The English language test is very important in scoring points. As you can see it can be as much as 20 points but be warned - if you're not a native speaker it can be a challenge.

PART 3 – Overseas employment experience

36 months (3 years) in the last 10 years


60 months (5 years) in the last 10 years


96 months (8 years) in the last 10 years


Overseas means employment not in Australia and as per the table above we are looking for at least 3 years in your occupation as a carpenter to make emigration to Australia possible.

PART 4 – Australian employment experience

Points are available if an applicant has worked in Australia in their nominated occupation or closely related skilled occupation as follows: 



1 year


3 years


5 years


8 years


Note that a maximum of 20 points can be awarded for a combination of Australian and overseas work experience.

PART 5 – Australian professional year

5 points are awarded if you have completed a professional year in Australia, in your nominated occupation as a carpenter or closely related occupation.

PART 6 – Educational qualifications

Points are awarded for the completion of qualifications either through an Australian educational institution or an overseas qualification for which the Minister is satisfied is a recognised standard:

Doctorate (PhD) – Australian institution or recognised overseas institution


Bachelor degree or higher – Australian institution or recognised overseas institution


Diploma – Australian institution


Trade certificate – Australian institution


Qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority for the applicant’s nominated occupation


Applicants only receive points for their highest single qualification – it is not possible to claim points for more than one qualification under this part.

PART 7 – Australian study

Applicants who have met the two-year Australian study requirement can obtain 5 points.

PART 8 – Credentialed community language

NAATI-accredited translators and interpreters at the paraprofessional (level 2) or higher are eligible for 5 points. A list of languages is not specified, so by implication any language assessed by NAATI at the paraprofessional level or higher should be acceptable.

PART 9 – Study in a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area of Australia

Criteria are:

  • Applicant meets the 2-year Australian study requirement;

  • Studies were conducted at a campus in regional Australia or a low-population growth metropolitan area;

  • Applicant lived in in regional Australia or a low-population growth metropolitan area  during the study;

  • None of the studies was via distance education.

The relevant regional areas are all parts of Australia, excluding: greater Brisbane area, the Gold Coast, Newcastle, the Central Coast, Sydney, Wollongong, Melbourne metropolitan area, Perth and surrounding areas and the Australian Capital Territory.


PART 10 – Partner skill

Applicant’s spouse or de facto partner:

  • Is an applicant for the same GSM visa subclass;

  • Is not an Australian permanent resident or citizen;

  • Was under the age of 45 at the time of invitation to apply for the visa;

  • Nominated a skilled occupation at the time of invitation to apply for the visa;

  • Had a suitable skills assessment in their occupation at time of invitation to apply for the visa; and

  • Had competent English at the time of invitation to apply for the visa.

PART 11 – State or Territory nomination

One way of gaining extra points as a carpenter seeking to emigrate to Australia is to look at state or territory nomination. Whilst this commits you to living in a certain state for or territory for 2 years it can mean those vital extra points are earned.

If you are able to look at the 190 visa option the following factors apply in order to gain 5 additional points.

  • The applicant has been invited to apply for the visa by a State or Territory government; and

  • The nomination has not been withdrawn by the State or Territory government.

If you are able to look at the 489 visa option the following factors apply in order to gain 10 additional points.

  • The applicant has been invited to apply for the visa by a State or Territory government; and

  • The nomination has  not been withdrawn by the State or Territory government.

  • The applicant has been sponsored by a relative usually resident in a designated area; and

  • The sponsorship has been accepted by the Minister.

Want to know if you're eligible to emigrate to Australia as a carpenter?

5. You must get an occupational assessment done

trades recognition australiaTrades Recognition Australia (TRA) is a skills assessment service provider specialising in assessments for people with trade skills gained overseas or in Australia, for the purpose of migration and skills recognition.

Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) offers a 5 different skills assessment programmes based on your occupation, country of passport, where you studied and the type of visa you are seeking:

  • Job Ready Program: For eligible international graduates in Australia who have an Australian trade or associate professional qualification issued by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO), based on studies in Australia.
  • TSS Skills Assessment Program: For applicants applying for a Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa who work in a nominated occupation and hold a passport from a nominated country.
  • Offshore Skills Assessment Program: For applicants applying for skilled migration visa (excluding 485 or TSS), who work in a nominated occupation and hold a passport from a nominated country. It is also available for applicants choosing to undertake a skills assessment in a nominated occupation who can travel to Australia or a nominated country for a skills assessment.
  • TRA Migration Skills Assessment: For eligible applicants with trade skills who are seeking permanent migration to Australia.
  • Migration Points Advice: The Migration Points Advice (MPA) Program is for applicants with a successful Trades Recognition Australia skills assessment outcome who are applying to the Department of Home Affairs for a points-tested, independent skilled migration visa. MPA from Trades Recognition Australia is used to advise the Department of Home Affairs about comparability of your qualifications and employment experience against Australian standards, which can assist with assessing your application for a points-tested visa.

Skills assessments are costly! Our advice is thus to only do a skills assessment once you've had an immigration assessment done. 

In doing so, you'll receive a written report that confirms whether or not you meet all the requirements. Your report will also make clear recommendations on the way forward and outline all the costs involved in your visa application.

Neglecting to do the eligibility assessment first could jeopardise your visa application and cost you a lot of money.

Useful links for your emigration

Here's how you should start your emigration...

Here’s something most people get wrong – they assume there is one right of emigrating. The truth is that every individual who emigrates do it differently. For example: 

  • You have a bachelor's degree and 11 years of work experience. Your friend who also wants to immigrate has a master's degree and 5 years of experience. Each of these circumstances will lead to different immigration plans. 


  • You're immigrating with your family while your next door neighbour is immigrating as a single person. You and your neighbour's points score won't be the same, which will lead to two different immigration plans. 

The secret to getting it right? Getting a tailored immigration plan from a licensed advisor to know which steps to take and when to do so. This approach maximizes your chances of success and reduces unnecessary costs.

How do you do this? By completing an immigration assessment which assess your education, skills, experience, and unique situation against the immigration criteria set out by Australia.

This is how Intergate Emigration can help:

Our team of licensed advisors can assess your eligibility to work in Australia - so that you know for sure if you can go ahead with your immigration.

If you meet the requirements to work in Australia as a carpenter, our licensed advisors will discuss your visa options with you, work out a personalised immigration plan, and share the costs and process involved. 

If you choose to work with us, our advisors and our admin department will work with you to submit a complete visa application.

Ready? Click 'GET STARTED' below to get in touch with our team. 

Get your visa application right the first time with the assistance of our advisors