Child visa (subclass 802): The basics

/ / Immigration to Australia, Your family and Australia

child visa (subclass 802)The subclass 802 is a very important visa subclass to know about. If you have children and would like to learn more about the Child Visa (subclass 802) then you have come to the right place. Today we will be sharing with you all the information which you will need to know about this particular visa subclass category for Australia.

What is a Child visa (subclass 802)?

A Child Visa (subclass 802), a Family visa, is a permanent visa that allows an eligible parent to sponsor their child to live in Australia indefinitely. It is very important to fully understand that the child must be in Australia when the application is lodged and granted.

What is an ‘eligible parent’?

For a parent to be considered eligible, the following requirements need to be met:

An eligible parent is:

  • An Australian citizen.
  • The holder of an Australian permanent resident visa.
  • An eligible New Zealand citizen.

What does the Child visa (subclass 802) allow you to do?

Firstly it is important to note that this is in fact a permanent residence visa. On a Child visa (subclass 802) it allows a child to do the following:

  • Remain in Australia indefinitely.
  • Study and work in the country.
  • Apply for Australian citizenship.
  • Enrol in Medicare.
  • Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted .
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence.

Parental responsibility

This visa will not be granted unless you are able to show at least one of the following for a child who is younger than 18 years of age:

  • There is full consent in writing from each parent, who is able to legally decide where the child lives.
  • According to the laws of the child’s home country, removal of the child is permitted.
  • It is consistent with any Australian child order.

How do I sponsor a child?

You can sponsor a child if you are either:

  • A step-parent who is no longer the partner of the child’s parent but has a legal responsibility to care for the child, and the child is younger than 18 years of age.
  • An adoptive parent who adopted the child before you became an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa, or eligible New Zealand citizen.

The best interests of the child

This visa fully takes the best interests of the child into consideration. It may be beneficial to understand that this visa will not be granted under any circumstances should it be decided that it is not within the best interests of the child who is younger than 18 years of age.

The Australian Government is very strict in their criteria. The fact of the matter remains that in order for the Child Visa (subclass 802) to be granted it will need to be within the best interests of the child.

I would like more information on the Child visa (subclass 802)

If you have any questions with regard to the Child visa (subclass 802), the Australia emigration process or any other immigration related questions that you would like answered then, feel free to contact us.

Return to our blog