Emigrating to Australia as an Early Childhood Teacher


emigrating to australia as an early childhood teacher
  • Are you a qualified early childhood teacher?
  • Under the age of 45?
  • Fluent in English?
  • In good health?

Then you may be eligible to teach Down Under! Continue reading to see:

  • The criteria to meet in order to emigrate to Australia as an early childhood teacher.
  • What Australia expects of Early Childhood Teacher visa applicants.
  • The first step you should take.

Let's start with the basics......

Introducing ANZSCO

ANZSCO is the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations. It is here where you'll find information on Australia's skill shortages, including the occupations short of local talent, each occupation's required skill level, and the qualifications and/or experience needed to work in an occupation. 

There are three lists within ANZSCO:

  • Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
  • Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL)
  • Regional Occupation List (ROL)

If your occupation appears on one of these lists, you may be eligible for emigration to Australia.

Early childhood teachers are on the MLTSSL!

Australia doesn't have enough local early childhood teachers, or preschool teachers, to fill all the gaps in the job market. Seeing as this is an important profession to Australia, the government decided to add early childhood teachers to the Medium and Long-term Skill Shortage List. This makes it easier for preschools in need of teachers to hire from overseas. 

Not so fast though!

Your occupation appearing on the MLTSSL is only the first step.

Each occupation has a code assigned to it, a skill level and also an assessing authority, and you have to meet all the criteria associated with these different parts of the process to qualify for a skilled migration visa.

The ANZSCO criteria

early childhood teacher australia anzsco codeThe ANZSCO code assigned to early childhood teachers are 241111. This code gives us more details about the criteria early childhood teachers must meet in order to qualify to emigrate to Australia.

The first thing we look at is the group that early childhood teachers fall under:

Major Group: 2 - Professionals | Sub-Major Group: 24 - Education Professionals | Minor Group: 241 – School Teachers | Unit Group: 2411 – Early Childhood (Pre-Primary School) Teachers

As you can see there are four groups showing how the code is made up – we are mostly interested in the code (241111) which is specific to early childhood teachers.

This part of the ANZSCO criteria lays out a broad description of what an early childhood teacher is supposed to be able to do:

Plans, organises and conducts activities to help pre-primary school students to develop a wide variety of skills including speech, reading, writing, motor skills and social interaction. 

Early childhood teachers are a Skill Level 1, which means you must have a level of skill comparable with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In the absence of a formal qualification, at least five years of relevant experience may act as a substitute.

In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

early childhood teacher australia tasksWhen applying for emigration as an early childhood teacher, you must be able to demonstrate or prove that you can perform the majority of the tasks below:

  • Planning and structuring learning in both indoor and outdoor environments using a variety of materials and equipment to facilitate students' development.
  • Providing a variety of experiences and activities to develop motor skills, cooperative social skills, confidence and understanding.
  • Promoting language development through story telling, role play, songs, rhymes and informal discussions held individually and within groups.
  • Observing students to evaluate progress and to detect signs of ill health, emotional disturbance and other disabilities.
  • Observing nutritional health, welfare and safety needs of students and identifying factors which may impede students' progress.
  • Discussing students' progress with parents.
  • Attending parent interviews, and staff and committee meetings.
  • Participating in community and family support programs as appropriate.
  • Supervising student teachers on placement.

early childhood teacher australia tasksMany people mistakenly think that finding a job is the first step when immigrating.

In fact, the first step should always be an immigration assessment to see if you have the necessary skills, qualifications and experience to live and work in Australia.

Our reasoning is two-fold:

1) If you don’t meet the requirements for skilled migration, you won’t be able to apply for a visa.

2) When you know that you’re eligible for migration, you can job hunt with confidence. Employers are much more likely to extend job offers if they know that you can work in Australia.

The golden rule? Do an assessment, then find a job.

Book your free consultation here

Find out if you're eligible for emigrating to Australia as an early childhood teacher.

Additional requirements - A points score of at least 65

PART 1 – Age

18 – 25


25 – 32


32 – 39


40 – 44


45 – 49


As you can see, early childhood teachers can achieve as much as 50% of the required 65 points just by being in the right age group.

PART 2 – English language

Superior English - IELTS 8 or more in all 4 components or OET ‘A pass’


Proficient English - IELTS 7 or more in all 4 components or OET ‘B pass’


Threshold English: Competent English (IELTS 6 or more in all 4 components or certain passport holders)


The English language test is very important in scoring points. As you can see it can be as much as 20 points but be warned - if you're not a native speaker it can be a challenge.

PART 3 – Overseas employment experience

36 months (3 years) in the last 10 years


60 months (5 years) in the last 10 years


96 months (8 years) in the last 10 years


Overseas means employment not in Australia and as per the table above we are looking for at least 3 years in your occupation as an early childhood teacher to make emigration to Australia possible.

PART 4 – Australian employment experience

Points are available if an applicant has worked in Australia in their nominated occupation or closely related skilled occupation as follows: 



1 year


3 years


5 years


8 years


Note that a maximum of 20 points can be awarded for a combination of Australian and overseas work experience

PART 5 – Australian professional year

5 points are awarded if you have completed a professional year in Australia, in your nominated occupation as an early childhood teacher or closely related occupation.

PART 6 – Educational qualifications

Points are awarded for the completion of qualifications either through an Australian educational institution or an overseas qualification for which the Minister is satisfied is a recognised standard:

Doctorate (PhD) – Australian institution or recognised overseas institution


Bachelor degree or higher – Australian institution or recognised overseas institution


Diploma – Australian institution


Trade certificate – Australian institution


Qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority for the applicant’s nominated occupation


Applicants only receive points for their highest single qualification – it is not possible to claim points for more than one qualification under this part.

PART 7 – Australian study

Applicants who have met the two-year Australian study requirement can obtain 5 points.

PART 8 – Credentialed community language

NAATI-accredited translators and interpreters at the paraprofessional (level 2) or higher are eligible for 5 points. A list of languages is not specified, so by implication any language assessed by NAATI at the paraprofessional level or higher should be acceptable.

PART 9 – Study in a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area of Australia

Criteria are:

  • Applicant meets the 2-year Australian study requirement;

  • Studies were conducted at a campus in regional Australia or a low-population growth metropolitan area;

  • Applicant lived in in regional Australia or a low-population growth metropolitan area  during the study;

  • None of the studies was via distance education.

The relevant regional areas are all parts of Australia, excluding: greater Brisbane area, the Gold Coast, Newcastle, the Central Coast, Sydney, Wollongong, Melbourne metropolitan area, Perth and surrounding areas and the Australian Capital Territory.


PART 10 – Partner skill

Applicant’s spouse or de facto partner:

  • Is an applicant for the same GSM visa subclass;

  • Is not an Australian permanent resident or citizen;

  • Was under the age of 45 at the time of invitation to apply for the visa;

  • Nominated a skilled occupation at the time of invitation to apply for the visa;

  • Had a suitable skills assessment in their occupation at time of invitation to apply for the visa; and

  • Had competent English at the time of invitation to apply for the visa.

PART 11 – State or Territory nomination

One way of gaining extra points as an early childhood teacher seeking to emigrate to Australia is to look at state or territory nomination. Whilst this commits you to living in a certain state for or territory for 2 years it can mean those vital extra points are earned.

If you are able to look at the 190 visa option the following factors apply in order to gain 5 additional points.

  • The applicant has been invited to apply for the visa by a State or Territory government; and

  • The nomination has not been withdrawn by the State or Territory government.

If you are able to look at the 489 visa option the following factors apply in order to gain 10 additional points.

  • The applicant has been invited to apply for the visa by a State or Territory government; and

  • The nomination has  not been withdrawn by the State or Territory government.

  • The applicant has been sponsored by a relative usually resident in a designated area; and

  • The sponsorship has been accepted by the Minister.

The assessment of your occupation

early childhood teacher australia assessing authorityThe Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) provides skills assessment services to teachers who wish to migrate to Australia.


early childhood teacher australia assessment processTo have the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) assess your skills, you must follow a 4-step process:

Step 1: Apply for an AITSL Skills Assessment for Migration

Applications are done online.

Step 2: Submit your application

You'll get a message from AITSL saying when you can submit your application. 

Step 3: Receive your assessment

AITSL’s estimated assessment time is 10 weeks from the date of submission.

Step 4: After your assessment

Successful applicants who receive an AITSL Skills Assessment Certificate will be eligible to request a Skilled Employment Statement (SES). This is an optional summary of your relevant skilled employment which can be uses as part of the Points Test for skilled migration. At this stage, you'll also have to register with an Australian teacher regulatory authority in order to work in Australia. 

When you choose to work with Intergate Emigration, your immigration agent will guide you through this entire process.

early childhood teacher australia adviceOnly do a skills assessment once you've had an immigration assessment done. 

Why? Because skills assessments are costly!

You don't want to spend thousands on a skills assessment only to find out afterwards that you don't qualify to work in Australia.

When you start with an assessment, you'll know for sure whether or not you meet the criteria for emigrating to Australia as an early childhood teacher. If the outcome is positive, you can proceed with a skills assessment with complete peace of mind.

More about the basic requirements

early childhood teacher australia health requirementsAll applicants for permanent and provisional visas must meet Australia’s health requirements to qualify for immigration. This includes the:

  • Main applicant;
  • Spouse; and
  • Any other members of the family unit.

The Department of Home Affairs or the migration medical services provider will evaluate the completed health exam reports to decide if applicants meet Australia’s health requirements.

Please note: In certain cases, non-migrating family members will also be assessed against the health requirements.

Everyone who wants to enter Australia must be of good character and will be assessed against Australia's character requirements. As part of your visa application, you might be required to provide a police clearance certificate or other evidence to satisfy the character requirements.

  • You will not pass the character test if:

    • you have a substantial criminal record, meaning you have been sentenced to 12 months or more in prison, or multiple sentences that add up to more than 12 months in prison. A suspended sentence is considered a prison sentence.

    • you have been convicted of escaping from immigration detention, or convicted for an offence that you committed:

      • while you were in immigration detention,

      • during an escape from immigration detention,

      • after an escape, but before you were taken into immigration detention again.

  • You are or have been a member of a group or organisation, or had or have an association with a person, group or organisation that the Minister for Immigration reasonably suspects of involvement in criminal conduct

  • The Minister for Immigration reasonably suspects that you have been involved in people smuggling, people trafficking, genocide, a war crime, a crime against humanity, a crime involving torture or slavery, or a crime that is of serious international concern, whether or not you have been convicted of such an offence

  • Your past and present criminal or general conduct shows that you are not of good character

  • There is a risk that while you are in Australia you would:

    • engage in criminal conduct,

    • harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person,

    • vilify a segment of the Australian community,

    • incite discord in the Australian community or in a part of it,

    • be a danger to the Australian community or a part of it.

  • You have been convicted of, or found guilty or had a charge proven for one or more sexually based offences involving a child,

  • You are subject to an adverse security assessment by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation

  • You are subject to an Interpol notice, from which it is reasonable to infer that you a direct or indirect risk to the Australian community, or a segment of the Australian community.

early childhood teacher australia english requirementsIn order to immigrate to Australia, you must score an IELTS 7 in all four components of your test:

  • Reading
  • Writing
  • Listening
  • Speaking

The IELTS is not the only English test available though. Your immigration agent should advise you on which English language test would be best for you.

Emigrating to Australia as an early childhood teacher will only be possible if you achieve a points score of at least 65. 


Here's how you should start your emigration...

early childhood teacher australia emigrationDo you know what the biggest mistake is you can make when you want to migrate?

In our opinion it's starting with any part of the process without first doing an immigration assessment to see if you're eligible to live and work in Australia.

Your starting point should always be an assessment!

What does an assessment do? It assesses your education, skills, experience, and unique situation against the immigration criteria set out by Australia. 

This means that you have a definite answer to the question "Is emigrating to Australia as an early childhood teacher possible?"

Let's also mention that you should deal with a licensed immigration advisor. That'll mean that your assessment is tailored and that you get a personalised immigration plan, outlining the steps to take.

This is the only approach that maximizes your chances of success.


This is how Intergate Emigration can help

Intergate Emigration offers everyone a free and non-obligatory initial immigration assessment. If this initial assessment shows you are eligible for immigration, you can choose to proceed with a formal assessment. This is an in-depth process during which you’ll complete a questionnaire and provide supporting documentation. 

At the end of the formal assessment you’ll get a written report highlighting your emigration route and options as well as requirements and all the costs.

Ready to kick off the process? Simply book your free consultation below.

Book your free consultation here

Find out more about emigrating to Australia as an early childhood teacher and see
if you should get a formal assessment done.