9 Questions answered about emigration to Australia

/ / Immigration Advice, Immigration to Australia, Our latest posts

emigration to australia
In the process of researching emigration to Australia? Then it’s guaranteed that you’re asking yourself a million questions.

Obviously we can’t answer all your questions in one article, but we are addressing the first set of questions any hopeful migrant have. Here they are:

1. What do I do if I want to work in Australia?

In order to work in Australia, you must qualify for a visa that allows you to do this. Therefore you must qualify for one of the general skilled visas or an employer sponsored visa.

2. Can I study in Australia?

Yes, you can. However, as before, you must qualify for the correct visa in order to move to Australia to study.

3. How do I start a business in Australia?

You might be able to guess by now that you’ll need a visa. The visas available to entrepreneurs and investors are:

Australian assessment

4. How do I know if I qualify for a visa?

A comprehensive immigration assessment will reveal if you qualify for an Australian visa. However, steer clear of free or online assessments. Rather enlist the services of a registered migration agent.

5. Can my significant other and children join me?

Yes, your family are allowed to join you.

Depending on the visa you qualify for, your family will either be able to:

  • Apply for visas based on their relationship with you; or
  • Have to apply for visas in their own capacity.

6. Can I bring my pets?

You are allowed to take pets to Australia. However, it is very expensive and requires extended periods of quarantine abroad. You may well decide to instead find a new home for your pets.

Read more about taking your pets to Australia here.

7. How long will it take to process my application?

This depends on the visa class and subclass you apply for. Our advisers will be able to give you estimates once it’s clear which visa you qualify for.

8. How much does an application cost?

Visa application costs vary from one visa to the next, but some of the main expenses are:

  • Government fees.
  • Skills assessment application fee, if applicable.
  • IELTS, if required.
  • Medical examination.
  • Police clearance certificate fee.
  • Translations and documentation certification costs.
  • Immigration agent’s fee, if you use one.

9. Who can help me with my application?

Only migration agents who have been registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) can legally give Australian immigration advice.

You can find an agent on the MARA site by using the search page. Our agent’s details can be found here.

MARA agent

Any other questions on emigration to Australia? Ask us

Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything else you’d like to know about emigration to Australia. All you have to do is call us on +27 (0) 21 202 8200.

Why don’t you also follow us on Facebook or subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date on all matters to do with Australia?

Get your FREE initial assessment here

Sign up for our monthly newsletter

You'll get immigration advice and be the first to know about visa changes.

Return to our blog