Family Visa - For children, parents and certain other relatives of Australians

family visaAre you looking for information the family visa category for Australia? Then you've come to the right place. Simply continue reading...

What relationship must exist?

The prerequisite for a family visa application is that the relationship must be with an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or an ENZ citizen.

The nature of this relationship differs from one subclass of visa to another. The subclasses fall in three categories:

  • Children
  • Parents
  • Other relatives

The Family visa categories

Sponsorship requirements for family visas

The Australian citizen, permanent resident or ENZ citizen must act as sponsor in the family visa application.

Requirements for sponsorship include:

  • The sponsor for an Other Relatives category visa must be an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or an ENZ citizen, and must be at least 18 years old.
  • For a permanent visa applicant, the sponsor has an obligation to assist the applicant financially and with accommodation for a 2-year period.
  • The sponsor's circumstances should provide evidence of their means to support the applicant.
  • ENZ residents acting as sponsors must satisfy health and character requirements.

Getting advice on the family visa for Australia

Your journey begins with an assessment, before you get your hopes up and spend considerable sums of money.

The assessment will tell you whether Australia is even an option for you and, if so, which options and costs are involved.

Where you to go for your assessment and advice is clearly defined by the Australian Government - aents in Australia must be licensed agents or exempt.

Your preference might be to enlist the services of an agent in your home country. However, we urge you to take care. There are far too many stories of agents taking large sums of money under false pretences!

You should want to avoid this situation at all cost.

The best advice is to only use agents that are correctly licensed. You can check the credentials of agents here on the Migration Authority's website.

You can also view the registration details of our immigration agent, Katrin Maja O'Flynn, here.

Another word of warning: Beware of agents with DIBP numbers. A DIBP number does not mean an agent is registered. This is simply a number used for admin purposes.

MARN number

MARA Licensed Agents

Our immigration agent is licensed by MARA, giving you complete peace of mind during your migration.

Get your FREE initial assessment here


Get in touch

South Africa +27 (0) 21 202 8200

UK +44 (0) 2038 732150

Germany +49 (0) 40 889 15973

Take the first step by booking a FREE initial assessment today. It's the only way to know whether or not your family member is eligible to join you in Australia.

Our latest blog posts

skilled nomination visa (subclass 190) applicationRead more +21 July 2017 By Immigration to Australia in Immigration Advice, Working in Australia

Discover all the steps in the Skilled Nomination visa (subclass 190) application process here

There are five steps in the Skilled Nomination visa (subclass 190) application. It is impossible to lodge your final application without completing each step – and you have to stick to the order of the process. Our clients often come to us not knowing this or with incorrect information in hand. Either of these situations
is it better to live in australia or new zealandRead more +26 June 2017 By Immigration to Australia in Immigration Advice, Immigration to Australia

Is it better to live in Australia or New Zealand?

“Is it better to live in Australia or New Zealand?” This is a question we encounter often. It comes as no surprise to us though. Many people who consider Australia for emigration also consider its neighbour New Zealand. The problem for most emigrants is that the countries appear so alike at first glance – sport-mad
registered immigration agent for australiaRead more +06 April 2017 By Immigration to Australia in Immigration Advice, Immigration to Australia

Who can give you advice on Australian immigration?

Let’s paint a picture here… You’ve decided to uproot your family and move to Australia. You’re leaving loved ones and a life you know behind. You’re venturing into the unknown – and you’re going to spend a big chunk of your life savings doing so. Given all this, who are you going to approach for